PDA

: White Bears.

Avtokosmos
26.04.2008, 00:47
It's around 30 km. from Usinsk.North Russia.:wassat:
It's a link on photos which sent us our user ed2000 from Usinsk. It's a city from the North of Russia. There people extract oil.

http://avtokosmos.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=394

LsBob
26.04.2008, 13:30
Stunning photos mate!! Full marks for them, I don't speak russian so you will have to pass my congratulations onto Ed2000

Avtokosmos
26.04.2008, 22:22
Stunning photos mate!! Full marks for them, I don't speak russian so you will have to pass my congratulations onto Ed2000

Ok! I'll tell him your congratulations!

Haka
27.04.2008, 22:50
Very bautiful views of Polar Lights. But I can't understand how it can be? And what's the universe of this natural phenomenon? ;)

27.04.2008, 23:46
:cool_guy: I'll tel u)))

The northern lights, one of several astronomical phenomena called polar lights (aurora polaris), are shafts or curtains of colored light visible on occasion in the night sky.

Polar lights (aurora polaris) are a natural phenomenon found in both the northern and southern hemispheres that can be truly awe inspiring. Northern lights are also called by their scientific name, aurora borealis, and southern lights are called aurora australis.

The origin of the aurora begins on the surface of the sun when solar activity ejects a cloud of gas. Scientists call this a coronal mass ejection (CME). If one of these reaches earth, taking about 2 to 3 days, it collides with the Earths magnetic field. This field is invisible, and if you could see its shape, it would make Earth look like a comet with a long magnetic tail stretching a million miles behind Earth in the opposite direction of the sun.

When a coronal mass ejection collides with the magnetic field, it causes complex changes to happen to the magnetic tail region. These changes generate currents of charged particles, which then flow along lines of magnetic force into the Polar Regions. These particles are boosted in energy in Earths upper atmosphere, and when they collide with oxygen and nitrogen atoms, they produce dazzling auroral light.:)

27.04.2008, 23:50
I thought it would be interesting to know some fun facts about northern lights:

1)The name Aurora Borealis is credited to Galileo Galilei (1616) and means northern dawn.
Auroras have been observed since ancient times.

2)The height of the displays can occur up to 1000 km (620 miles), although most are between 80-120 km.

3)Auroras tend to be more frequent and spectacular during high solar sunspot activity, which cycles over approximately eleven years.

4)Some displays are particularly spectacular and widespread and have been highlighted in news accounts. Examples include auroral storms of August-September, 1859, Feb 11, 1958, (lights 1250 miles wide circled the Arctic from Oregon to New Hampshire) and March 13, 1989, (the whole sky turned a vivid red and the aurora was seen in Europe and North America as far south as Cuba).

5)Legends abound in northern cultures to explain the northern lights. Some North American Inuit call the aurora aqsarniit (football players) and say the spirits of the dead are playing football with the head of a walrus. Often legends warn children that the lights might come down and snatch them away.

6)June 1896, Norwegian Kristian Birkeland, the father of modern auroral science, suggested the theory that electrons from sunspots triggered auroras.

7)Yellowknife (Northwest Territories, Canada) is the capital for aurora tourism.

8)The earliest known account of northern lights appears to be from a Babylonian clay tablet from observations made by the official astronomers of King Nebuchadnezzar II, 568/567 BC.

9)Some people claim to hear noises associated with the northern lights, but documenting this phenomenon has been difficult.
:laughing: