PDA

Просмотр полной версии : Burrundie Gold mining area trip

LsBob
06.05.2008, 10:52
The Burrundie – Pine Creek area was a gold mining area back in the 1880s and there were many small mines plus alluvial workings but the mines were generally short lived. As some mines were closed, the equipment and buildings were moved to new sites. So while there are many sites in this area, very little remains, partly because the buildings were generally of a temporary nature and bushfires would regularly occur and destroy everything. Due to the financial bubble collapse in Great Britain during the 1890’s, the mining industry declined and when World War 1 started it ceased completely due to the shortage of labour and equipment. It was not until the 1950’s when uranium was discovered in many areas that this area picked up again though most of these mines were not commercially viable for long. The last rush was during the 1990s when the gold price and improvements in technology made many of these old mining sites profitable again. But now it is large scale mining with open cuts and big mine trucks over new roads where before the miner would have to take his ore by a horse drawn dray to a crusher.
A couple of people were interested in going into this area just for a Sunday drive. However no one turned up at the start but I continued on to Adelaide River township where another friend lives. He has several Land Rovers here in various stages of not working. See photos. The second one is of a Series 1 without an engine, body, running gear etc so it will take him a while to get it going.
Leaving here I happened to meet up with one who was going to come -- he was running late! Once we left the highway to go to Brocks Creek there was evidence of the new mining boom as several areas that I had wanted to visit were now closed due to mining activity. The next road was gravel but in good condition with some creeks still flowing across the road. At Burrundie we found the track into the old cemetery. There are only 2 gravestones, most were buried with a wooden cross which the termite ants would soon destroy. Nearby is the old township of which only some holes in the ground and some bricks showed that something had been there. Yet when it was surveyed it was the second largest town in the Northern Territory. It is alongside the railway line which has been upgraded now. Close by is a powder store to store the powder for blasting, the dynamite store was built into a hill about half a kilometre further on.
More deserted sites were past on the way to Pine Creek which at one time had had a large Chinatown but over the years it has declined as the mines stopped. There are a few operational mines here. The trip was just on 500kms over a variety of roads with a little bit of 4WD. An easy days outing. Sorry about the quality of the photos but they are from a mobile phone.

LsBob
06.05.2008, 11:13
Here is one coming to the powder store,, the powder store building and one of the creek crossings, very sandy here.

Avtokosmos
06.05.2008, 14:45
Very interesting statement! Did the workers were convicts in this mines?

LsBob
07.05.2008, 08:23
Hi
No convicts were not transported to Australia from around 1860's and none were in the Northern Territory except for an early settlement at Port Essengton in 1837 on the Arafura Sea, which failed because of a poor location and no reliable water supply. A lot of the small miners were Chinese and the companies emoployed Europeans and Chinese as mining was about the omly other industry here besides cattle.

Scotian
07.05.2008, 22:16
I like the bull bars on that first pic. I think I will make mine like that with the brace going down the side of the wing. I'm sick of bending my bull bars when I'm off roading so need to somthing better.. :)

Avtokosmos
11.05.2008, 01:19
Hi
No convicts were not transported to Australia from around 1860's and none were in the Northern Territory except for an early settlement at Port Essengton in 1837 on the Arafura Sea, which failed because of a poor location and no reliable water supply. A lot of the small miners were Chinese and the companies emoployed Europeans and Chinese as mining was about the omly other industry here besides cattle.

Never even thought, that in 19th century in Australia, Chinese carried out industry. Did Chinese trade the Europe and Asia or they used the extracted resources exclusively for needs of their country?

Avtokosmos
11.05.2008, 01:26
I like the bull bars on that first pic. I think I will make mine like that with the brace going down the side of the wing. I'm sick of bending my bull bars when I'm off roading so need to somthing better.. :)

Yes! I agree that it's cool bull bar! Quite a good idea to make it with your bull bar!:)

LsBob
11.05.2008, 11:02
The Chinese came to Australia around 1860 when the gold rushes were on. Originally that was to Victoria and New South Wales but in later years they also went to Queensland. During the 1880s it was hard to attract workers to work in the tropics so the Chinese were bought in originally to work for wages in the mines and to help build the railway but many also went into gold mining working for them selves or opened up business as traders.
While the gold was supposed to be sold to the Government, a lot went back to China, often in the bodies of Chinese miners who had died and their bodies were being sent back for burial. Many stayed in this region and until around World War 1 there were more Chinese living in Darwin than Europeans.

Avtokosmos
11.05.2008, 20:55
The Chinese came to Australia around 1860 when the gold rushes were on. Originally that was to Victoria and New South Wales but in later years they also went to Queensland. During the 1880s it was hard to attract workers to work in the tropics so the Chinese were bought in originally to work for wages in the mines and to help build the railway but many also went into gold mining working for them selves or opened up business as traders.
While the gold was supposed to be sold to the Government, a lot went back to China, often in the bodies of Chinese miners who had died and their bodies were being sent back for burial. Many stayed in this region and until around World War 1 there were more Chinese living in Darwin than Europeans.

In Russia on the south of Petersburg constructing Chinatown, but it is not pleasant to many people, as the Chinese people is absolutely another for Russian culture and not understand. Also people are afraid of the Chinese mafia. On territory of Russia now very small population density and east regions of Russia actively occupied the Chinese. Basically it is illegal emigrants who agree to work for 30 dollars a month and it beat off at Russian workplaces.:sad:

LsBob
12.05.2008, 10:39
The Chinese here still keep their own traditions like food and New Year but the latest generation generally do not follow the old Chinese customs and a lot cannot speak Chinese. The Chinese that have been here for many generations have been model citizens, however some recent immigrants from other Asian countries have bought some of the drug trade with them, but this is only a very small percentage. After the Vietnam War or American War as the vietnamese call it, many refugues came here by sailing small boats from Vietnam and now they have integrated into the Australian life style.

Avtokosmos
13.05.2008, 23:11
In difference from Australia, in Russia the Chinese do not assimilate and practically do not enter dialogue with Russians, and live the closed groups.